Atascocita BizCom 2021 Recap blog:
BizCom events connect local business professionals, community leaders, and school officials to the information they need to be successful in the Lake Houston community. Topics include area developments, new businesses, timely news, legislature, etc.
Speaker highlights from February 25, 2021 included:
Mike Miller, Vice President of Ashlar Development sharing the Land Plan on the Groves master-planned community.
- In the past year they have developed ‘The Field,’ the ‘Mini Groves,’ the Madera Creek expansion, and the Canopy at the Groves including ‘the Yard’ and ‘the Nest’
- The Glade at the Groves is a new commercial development.
- West Lake Houston purchased eight acres of land to build a campus
- The Pavilion at the Groves will be multi-family living with about 318 units
- Keeping a 4-acre drill site, meant to preserve the trees in this area with plans to develop more trails throughout
- Kiddie Academy is now open
- 15-acre parcel has been sold to a large grocer.
Michelle Carnahan, Liaison Officer for Community Response with Harris County Public Health Office sharing Covid-19 impacts, trends and Harris County vaccine information.
- 22,000 active Covid cases & 319,000 recovered in the City of Houston and Harris County combined
- Over 12,000 vaccines have been transferred to partners in the medical community
- Harris County Public Health is currently offering the vaccine to those in phases 1A and 1B through random selection. Those registered in 1A or 1B are selected through a randomization process, prioritized by age.
- 49,000 residents have had the first shot and 21,000 residents are fully vaccinated
- To join the HCPH Covid-19 Vaccine waitlist visit vacstrac.hctx.net or call the Vaccine Call Center at 832-927-8787
Dr. Fagen, Superintendent of Humble Independent School District sharing status updates on several district wide projects.
- About half of the campuses were affected by rolling blackouts during Winter Storm Uri. However, thanks to the maintenance staff, police department, custodians, child nutrition staff, technology staff, they were able to get kids back in school on Monday.
- Lakeland and Autumn Creek Elementary schools will be open this Fall
- Updates about the design and effectiveness of newly integrated learning pods (watch the extended HumbleISD video here)
- North Belt elementary school to be completed within the 2018 bond. Located on 25 acres of wooded areas. New pods for the campus to integrate seven biomes from around the world.
Danny Perez from Texas Department of Transportation sharing updates on the FM 1960- expansion project.
- Status of Segment 1 (BF1960A to East of Twigsworth): ROW acquisition and clearing the right of way while continuing to work with utilities contractors.
- Status of Segment 2 (East of Twigsworth Lane to West of San Jacinto River Bridge): This project aims to address the growth in the area. ROW acquisition complete, ROW clearing continues.
- Pushing information out about this project through social media accounts @TxDOTHouston
- For closures go to HoustonTranStar.org
- For any questions or concerns about this project, please email Danny Perez at email@example.com or call him directly at 713-802-5077
Bryan Ruth, Chairman of the Partnership Lake Houston Transportation Committee and Sr. Director of Land Development at McCord Development discusses new proposed regional connections and the top 5 priorities of the committee.
- Sorters McClellan Rd Expansion
- Hamblen Rd Expansion and Extension
- Woodland Hills Extension to FM1960
- Deerbrook Mall connection to Townsen Boulevard
- FM1960 direct Connect to i-69
Jenna Armstrong, CEO & President of Partnership Lake Houston giving updates about the impact Winter Storm Uri had on the Lake Houston business community.
- After last week’s historic winter storm, the Partnership is surveying the area businesses to see what impact the storm had on them (take survey here)
- Preliminary results show about 67% of businesses had little to no physical damage
- The biggest impact local businesses sustained came from having to close for multiple days and are looking for funding through SBA loans, banking loans, etc.
- A reminder that the best way to support these businesses is to SHOP LOCAL. There are many people having their homes painted, plumbing redone, buying fixtures and drywall- go out and do business with local businesses. They really need our help!
Mark Mitchell, CEDO of Partnership Lake Houston sharing relevant disaster recovery funding information for local businesses affected by Winter Storm Uri.
- 77 counties in Texas have been declared a natural disaster after Winter Storm Uri, so there are disaster loans and economic injury loans available. For a list of resources to help with this, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit LakeHouston.org
- Two important changes have been made to the PPP program
- There is an emphasis on companies with 10 employees or less securing PP loans, this is 60% in terms of access point
- Starting on February 23, there is a 14-day period instituted to give employers with less than 20 employees priority in terms of access to funding
Corey Turner, Chairman of Walk, Run, Discover Lake Houston 5k10k sharing information about the three key changes made to this year’s Lake Houston 10k5k event.
- The Partnership has adapted the 10k5k event for the safety of our community by turning the one-day event into a month-long competition promoting social distancing.
- The event has been expanded to cover the whole Lake Houston area this year. The team has mapped out 1 mile, 5k & 10k trails throughout Kingwood, Humble, Atascocita & Summer Creek. Get out there & discover Lake Houston!
- Partnership Lake Houston has teamed up with 10 local charities to assist those most in need during this difficult time, you can find out how to donate to on WalkRunDiscoverLakeHouston.com.
As always, we depend on our business sponsors to make programs like BizCom available for our members and our greater Lake Houston Area community.
Presenting Sponsors: Memorial Hermann Northeast Hospital & Rosewood Funeral Homes
Gold sponsors: HEB Atascocita, Amanda Petree of JL Realty, Generation Park & Whataburger
Silver sponsor: K&S Sportswear
Emcee: Asdrubal “Dru” Gutierrez, Chairman of Atascocita BizCom and Harris County MUD 152 Director- Secretary
Opening prayer & pledge by Pastor Cameron Whitley from West Lake Houston Church
Productions: DNA Studios
Full video here: